Lockton, Caledon Ontario Prime Location
Lockton is a small community within the town of Caledon Ontario. The main highway that runs through it is County Road 50, which connects with Highway 400 to the west and Peel Regional Road 25 to the east. The community is primarily made up of small acreages and residential subdivisions, with a few farms. The remainder of the farmland in Lockton has been converted into homesites. Read more about Lockton real estate.
History of Lockton, Ontario
Named after local settler William Lockhart who arrived c1813 near the intersection of present day Olde Base Line Road and Mayfield. Lockton was also known as “The Forks” due to its location at the junction of two major roads – today’s Olde Base Line Road and Mayfield road. This area had been an important stage coach stop between Toronto and Hamilton since 1817, where early Loyalist settlers built a tavern on their farm land to serve travellers heading westward from York (now Toronto). In 1824, John Clark operated a post office in his general store with mail arriving by way of Pottsville or Galt once per week. A historical marker was placed along Mayfield Road just north of Lockhart Drive commemorating the historic settlement emerged here during this period near the intersection of Olde Base Line Road and Mayfield.
The village supported a blacksmith, carpenter shop, shoemaker, tailor and wagon maker as well as the tavern operated by John Clark (1824). By 1855 it had two churches: Presbyterian Church on land donated by William Lockhart; Methodist Episcopal Church built in 1863 with stonework from one-time railway contractor Joseph Merrill Currier whose stone house still stands at 5280 Mayfield Rd., Caledon East.